Elderly Home Care Agency, Neighborly Home Care, Discusses the Effects of Dehydration
As part of the aging process, adults begin to notice that their bodies are not as strong as they once were. One of the major issues that the body faces is dehydration; seniors over the age of 65 have been found to have approximately 10% less water weight than they did when they were younger because the sensation of thirst decreases as you get older.
The problem with this is that seniors who neglect to hydrate themselves may find themselves experiencing the effects of aging prematurely, thereby impairing cognitive/kidney function and causing a wide range of problems from intestinal discomfort, constipation, and incontinence.
The Signs of Dehydration
If you think somebody you know is suffering from dehydration, watch for the following signs:
- Vomiting and nausea
- Dry mouth
- Dry and loose skin
- Sudden confusion
- Concentrated Urine
- Increased heart rate
- Loss of appetite
- Forehead skin tenting
How to Prevent Dehydration
Fortunately, there are many measures caregivers from Neighborly Home Care taketo avoid the negative consequences of dehydrations:
- The easiest and most obvious way to prevent hydration involves offering fluids regularly throughout the day.
- Care workers should also ensure that fluids are readily available even when they are not around.
- Set daily landmarks of when seniors should be drinking (ie. Upon waking up, at lunch, upon arriving home… )
- Encourage seniors to drink water when taking their medication.
- Make the type of beverages that you know your patient prefers to drink.
- If seniors are incredibly sedentary, make sure that they drink at least 8 glasses a day.
All caregivers from Neighborly Home Care are certified nursing assistants or have received equivalent training and passed a nurse aid skills assessment test.
Neighborly Home Care wants to make sure that seniors not only get the best possible care at home but also the most affordable. Neighborly Home Care is a leading home care provider in Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, Chester and/or Delaware County. To learn more about elderly home care services, caregivers, and other initiatives, contact Neighborly Home Care today at:
Contact Neighborly Home Care
26 Rittenhouse Place
The families we serve keep saying great things.
I just wanted to tell you how grateful we are that Neighborly Home Care stepped in & took over taking care of my Dad when we really needed it, no questions asked. Our caregiver has become part of the family and we know we can depend on her being there every day & taking great care of my Dad. He misses her when she’s not there!